Monday, January 13, 2020

Using a Nikon film digitizer with a crop sensor camera

I've owned two film scanners at different times, one Nikon and one Canon.  Both died eventually.  So when I wanted to scan more slides, a friend suggested I take a look at the Nikon film digitizers, the ES-1 and ES-2.

However, they are meant for "full frame" (FX to Nikon users), 35mm equivalent size sensors, and a 50-60mm macro.  Well, I have an APS-C camera and an 80mm macro lens.  But I did a little thinking and calculation, some searching for an extra couple of parts, and I ended up with the ES-2.  
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/miscellaneous/es-2-film-digitizing-adapter-set.html

Since the Nikon site does not describe the parts included or what they do, I shall:
 
The package includes a 35mm negative strip holder, a slide holder (2 slides), a telescoping/rotating film adapter, and both 52 and 62mm rings (Nikon mostly uses those two sizes, particularly for macro lenses).


Here is what I did:

Since 35mm slides are bigger than 1:1 on APS-C, I knew I would need more distance between the lens and the slide holder.  Since my APS-C sensor has a crop factor of about 1.5x, I estimated I would need about 50% more distance than is offered by the slide copier.  That isn't exact because my macro is internal focusing, effectively becoming a short focal length at closer focus distances. But the 80mm focal length, being longer than the 60mm required by the stock ES-2, also required more distance from the lens to the slide.

Given those factors, I knew I would need additional extension a bit over 30m. I guessed about 35mm.  I then measured the distance from the lens to a slide that filled the frame, subtracted the length of the ES-2 (my friend already had one and could supply the range of the length), and found I'd been in the ballpark with my estimate.

To get that extension, I hoped to use my old Minolta extension tube set, but learned Minolta had used an oddball 57mm diameter.  That was unfortunate!  Had it been a standard 58mm at least, the tubes would have done the trick, paired with stepping rings.

Minolta extension tube set with odd 57mm diameter rings.  Fail!

Since those old tubes didn't work, I next thought I'd need to buy a bunch of cheap filters, remove the glass, and stack the rings. Doable, but annoying.

With some searching I found 62mm spacer rings, and bought one 37mm long.  I went ahead and picked up a few old used, cheap filters as well and removed the glass to give myself some leeway.  Also, the ES-2 itself has an adjustable distance so I didn't have to be exact, just within range.

62mm spacer ring and old filter rings.

I put the parts together, and voila, the big spacer ring worked with no need for the extra filter rings.

Final product, telescoping film holder with extension.

I'm not sure that the ES-2 works quite as well as a nice scanner, but the scanners haven't been supported for awhile anyway.

If you do something like this, be prepared to clean off your film first, and probably use a spot healing brush on the digital copy.  You will probably need to straighten and crop the image as well.

What I found... 
1) 30 year old slide film doesn't stand up to modern sensors for detail and noise handling, not by a long shot.  
2) Most of my old lenses don't stand up to modern lenses.
3) Since a number of my old slides appear to be misfocused, modern AF is truly useful.

Eagles in the snow at the Chilkat River, Haines, Alaska, November 1989, Kodachrome 200 slide film

Bald Eagle, Kodachrome 200 slide film, November 1989

Here is what happens if you don't pay attention to alignment of the slide in the holder:
Possum babies, made with one of the few old lenses I own that can stand up against modern lenses... a Kiron 100mm macro.








No comments:

Post a Comment