Friday, April 24, 2020

Thoughts on the Shimoda Action X50

Sometimes I want to carry more gear than my compact, thin Atlas Athlete is designed to hold, but I didn't want to go as large as the Atlas Adventure.

I picked up a Shimoda Action X50.

It comes in a drab army green or black.  I picked green. I realized this is my fifth green pack... seems like a pattern.

The first Shimoda model, the Explore series, didn't interest me because they lack side water bottle pockets. The Action X50 added hideaway water bottle pockets.

The design seems like a copy of the Nya-Evo Fjord 60, with some nice modifications.

Modified Shimoda Action X50

The front of the pack



Features


  • Adjustable torso size
  • Internal frame
  • Shoulder strap options (e.g. women's fit, thicker straps, etc)
  • Pockets on some of the shoulder strap options
  • Removable hipbelt
  • Hideaway dual side water bottle pockets
  • Water bladder compatible (front pocket)
  • Rear access
  • Side access via new Shimoda inserts
  • Various camera insert sizes
  • Thin side pockets
  • Deep, thin front pocket
  • Rolltop access to top compartment, expandable.
  • Extra zippered pockets in top and front sections
  • Compression straps (can attach tripods)
  • Loops for gatekeeper straps
  • Waterproof coating
  • Stands upright
  • Laptop sleeve
  • Thick, cushioned carry handles on top and side.


Rolltop

Looking inside the rolltop (winter gloves shown)


Shimoda is known for having nice shoulder straps.  Users like the shape and the front pockets.  The thick straps are a bit thicker than I expected!

Thick Shimoda strap (green) next to the Atlas strap (grey with a common thickness)

The pockets on the shoulder straps are very handy.  One can hold an phone-sized item, the other can stretch enough to hold a thin water bottle or can of bear spray.

The stretchy shoulder strap pocket.


My existing F-stop pro ICUs fit nicely.  Small, Medium, and Large pro ICUs all fit.

This F-stop ICU fits snugly and doesn't pop out

Dual side water bottle pockets are a must for me.

Exposed water bottle holder

Drain holes on both sides for the front pocket

Front pocket unzipped

Side pocket with water bottle holder stowed.

The carry handles are thick and robust, but don't get in the way.

Side carry handle

Top carry handle


Fit


The adjustable torso size helps a ton to get a precise torso fit.  This helps the hipbelt stay where it is needed without slipping.

The strap options means there is likely a strap that will work for you.  

The pack is tall enough that the load lifters help remove some weight from the shoulders and transfer it to the hips.

The included removable hipbelt does a pretty good job of supporting the weight.

I find that the back is too flat for me... it doesn't quite fit me as well as a good hiking pack or my Atlas pack. The lumbar area doesn't push as deeply into my lower back as I need to fit well. But I found a simple fix for the lumbar area:  I added a piece of very dense closed cell foam, about 1/2" thick, inside the lumbar area. That did the trick for pushing the lumbar area nicely against my back.

The thick straps push into my shoulder blades on the back side. The standard thin straps fit fine.  Ian Millar said the thick straps are meant for a much bigger person (I wish they'd specified this up front).  But I've seen smaller guys using the thick straps and enjoying them.

Out of the box, the fit isn't good enough for me for a long hike. I did the same hike (a few miles between 9000-10000 feet) within a couple days of each other to compare the X50 vs the Athlete, carrying the same gear.  I felt sore and beaten up after using the X50 out-of-the-box, while I have always felt fine using the Athlete.  But your back isn't just like mine, so you'll have to try it for yourself.  As I mentioned above, adding the padding to the lumbar area helped.



Modifications


I like the easy access of the Shimoda rolltop for the personal gear, but missed having a top lid, so I added one from Seek Outside.  The color isn't quite a match, but it's close enough if you aren't too picky.  I was lucky that the X50 has loops in just the right places to add gatekeeper straps, which is how I attached the top lid.  The top lid lets me get to some smaller, often-used items quickly.

Seek Outside top lid sitting on the Shimoda Action X50


Gatekeeper and buckles hold the front of the top lid.


Attached on the back






Anyone paying attention to the images above may have noticed the gray hipbelt.  This is from Atlas, their Adventure hipbelt.  Even though the velcro is on the opposite side from the Shimoda, it fits and stays in place.  This combination doesn't seem to work as well for me as using the belts in their respective packs, but I thought it was worth a try.  It squeaked with every step.  My birder friends couldn't stand walking with me when I tried that configuration.





What I like about it:
  • Adjustable torso size
  • Thick shoulder straps available
  • Thick straps have mesh
  • Women's shoulder straps available
  • Removable belt
  • Quick and easy rear access to camera
  • Side water bottle holders are deep, wide, and can be cinched down to the right size
  • Water bladder option
  • Pockets on the shoulder straps
  • Stands upright on its own (easy access to the rolltop area)
  • Waterproofing
  • Very well padded laptop sleeve
  • Extra straps and loops
  • Rolltop is quick and easy to use
  • Thick top and side handles
  • F-stop pro ICUs fit perfectly
  • Many gatekeeper loops!  I was able to easily fit a top lid/pocket from Seek Outside
  • I was able to adapt my favorite hipbelt; the Atlas Adventure belt.
  • I was able to get the lumbar support to work via additional foam padding.

What I don't like:

  • Standard straps could use mesh
  • Thick straps are crazy thick and pushed into my shoulder blades uncomfortably; a little thinner close to the shoulder attachment area would fit me better. 
  • Hard to see and find small items in the rolltop section
  • Front pocket is on the thin side, and doesn't unzip far.
  • Boxy looking (adding a top lid helped with that)
  • Back of pack would benefit from mesh/better airflow.  I sweat with this pack even on cool days.
  • Belt is on the thin side (could use a firmer layer on the outside and more padding against the body), and could also use mesh.
  • The drab green is a little too military looking; I would prefer pine green.  
  • The side pockets (behind the water bottle holders) are a bit thin.
  • Attachment rings on shoulder straps are plastic (but can be replaced with metal rings)
  • The keyring is a propriety design and is hard to locate in one of the pockets inside the rolltop.  A clip, closer to the top, would have been just fine.
  • Due to the way the camera cores are held in the pack, the items on the sides of the camera cores can be harder to reach.
  • As sold, I couldn't get a good enough fit for longer hikes.  My back and shoulders felt beaten up after a few miles. Adding padding to the lumbar area helped some, but it still doesn't fit perfectly.

I will also note that I am indifferent to the side access. When I shoot landscapes, I hike to a spot and set the pack down. But the Shimoda does manage to offer many features without too many compromises.


Summary


Overall it's a very well-designed pack, even if you don't modify it.  

I still prefer the Atlas Athlete design and fit, but obviously the Athlete isn't perfect for every use case or I wouldn't have tried the Shimoda. If it fits you well and meets your other needs, you'll be happy with it.  Good fit is essential.

The final configuration that fits best for me is to use the standard straps, the Shimoda belt, and add thick padding in the lumbar area.






No comments:

Post a Comment