Saturday, August 24, 2024

Thoughts on the FLM CP30-S4 II tripod

After some use in the field, I decided my previous lightweight tripod was a bit too short for some situations.  With a little research I found the FLM CP30-S4 II tripod was just the right height to hit eye level on flat ground, while not being much heavier than my old one.  I was already familiar with FLM from their ball heads, so I didn't hesitate to buy one.

After a couple years of use, I can report the CP30-S4 is a great tripod and I recommend it to anyone who needs that size.

Specs from FLM:
Max height 53.4", min height 3.6", folded length of 18.9", and it weighs 2.89 lbs.  They claim it supports 44 lbs, but I have no idea how that is tested.  None of my gear comes close to that.

Features:
4-section carbon fiber legs.
Narrow aluminum apex with a bubble level.
Apex has a standard 3/8-16" stud.
Cork/rubber pad on the top plate.
Nylon set screws to stop the head from loosening.
3 preset angles on the apex.
1/4-20"-threaded holes on the apex and leg mounts.
Wide, rounded rubber feet.
Included spikes can replace the rubber feet.

Comments:
When the CP30 arrived, the first thing I noticed was the build quality.  Nice looking and well-finished.  Once I extended it, I noticed it is remarkably rigid.  Noticeably stiffer than the previous lightweight tripod.  And my gut feeling is that it is just as rigid and sturdy as my bigger, heavier Gitzo 3530 tripod.  The Center Column website has measurements for the CP30, but not my 3530, so I'm not totally sure.  It works so well that I barely use the Gitzo 3530 anymore.  It's much lighter, a little taller (and hits my eye level with the head/camera just right), and at least as rigid. 

My older tripod went to a friend for whom that height works well.

I put my Arca-Swiss P0 ballhead on the CP30.  The narrow CP30 matches the P0 size perfectly, and fits all my criteria for compactness and lightweight.

The tabs on the leg locks could be a bit wider to make them easier to grip.  I noticed that I can also pop them out by pushing on the backside of the lock mechanism.

A note:  the leg twist-locks are metal and some people don't like that vs a rubberized lock.  While I agree that I prefer the feel of rubber, I have not had any trouble in real use.  In theory, the metal locks should last a lot longer than anything with a coating.

The CP30 is now my go-to tripod for most uses.  Based on my experience with it, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.  And when I need a taller tripod, I won't hesitate to get another FLM.

Pros:
Excellent build quality.
Just tall enough for me with the P0 attached to be at eye level on flat ground.
Goes to ground level.
Independent leg adjustments (only cheap tripods don't do this, but I'm mentioning it anyway).
Very light and easy to handle in the field.
Rigid and solid; I've done plenty of long exposures with it and haven't seen any issues from vibration.

Cons:
The leg lock release could be wider to make them easier to grab.
Some don't like the metal twist locks.  
The bottom of the apex only has an eyelet, not a hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment